I’m a co-founder and partner at enso, where we help companies design new futures.
Originally from southern England, I’m now enjoying more light in southern California, with the wonderful @KerryKB.
I’ve lived in the logic world (economics, law, corporate finance, business strategy) and the cultural world (literature, history, travel, photography, street art). That fused into being a strategist, focused on creating new initiatives that add value to the world. I’m a Gates Foundation Goalkeeper and a Fellow of the Royal Geographic Society.
I’m an optimist, and my greatest joy is exploring new possibilities for a better way. Sometimes that better way is a new kind of business, or a new way of being, or a new shared mission. I’m optimistic about you. I’m optimistic about a new kind of capitalism, that creates value for shareholders and the world.
Some waypoints on the journey are below.
Exploring & making
- A future where every day is a new chance to lift each other up, with Lyft
- A future where everyone can find Outer Peace, with Arc’teryx
- A future where everyone’s happy at work, with Indeed
- A future where local people own their neighborhood, with Nico, the Neighborhood Investment Company
- A future built by principled innovation, with Uber
- A future with healthy, equitable food, with Everytable
- A future where girls transcend the dream gap, with Mattel
- A future for the climate, with 160 pioneers from science, philanthropy, business and culture
- A future where everyone has super fast internet, with Google Fiber
- A future for Bahamian ecologies and cultures, with Atlantis
- A future without polio, with The Gates Foundation and FC Barcelona
- A future with refreshed communities, with Pepsi Refresh Project
- A future where anyone can learn anything, with Khan Academy
- A future with vibrant American small businesses, with Starbucks
- A future with magical mobile experiences — with Disney Japan
- A future where the world’s most popular sport lifts every community, with Common Goal
- A future where companies are measured by meaning, not just profit — World Value Index
- A future populated by beautiful street art — Unurth.com
- Medium: My cancer curriculum
- FastCo: Design the future
- FastCo: Our definition of ‘success’ is holding business back—it’s time for a new one
- FastCo: The impossible for capitalism is suddenly possible
- FastCo: We need to solve the wisdom deficit in business
- FastCo: Does your company live up to why it exists?
- FastCo: It’s time to awaken the humanity in business
- FastCo: A new kind of capitalism needs a new generation of inspired—and inspiring—leaders
- FastCo: The rise of employee activism
- FastCo: The business challenge of our time is creating meaningful work
- FastCo: Which brands inspire consumers the most with their missions
FastCo: The Best Brands Are The Ones That Build “Belonging”
FastCo: As Millennials Demand More Meaning, Older Brands Are Not Aging Well
Medium: From Mission to Shared Mission
- FastCo: How Motivating Is Your Company's Purpose?
- FastCo: The Brands That Do The Most And Least Good For The World—Ranked By Consumers
FastCo: Nike Spends Billions On Marketing, But Millennials Still Like TOMS More
FastCo: How Is The World Better If Your Brand Succeeds?
- FastCo: How Brands Can Harness People To Achieve Real Impact
Portrait by Dave Zaboski, Laetro
I want to know how the world is,
why it is, and how it could be.
I grew up around photography, so that’s
become my practice of wandering curiosity.